Please read the following information carefully. This privacy notice contains information about what data we collect and store about you and why. It also tells you who we share this information with, the security mechanisms we have put in place to protect your data and how to contact us if you have a complaint.
Please contact us if you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you. Our details are Moseleys Solicitors, Compton House, Bore Street, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13 6LL. Our telephone number is 01543 414100. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Data Protection Officer is Sarah Atack.
Moseleys Solicitors collects, uses and is responsible for personal information about you. When we do this we are the "controller" of this information for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations ("GDPR") and other applicable data protection laws.
What Do We Do With Your Information?
Information collected by us
When carrying out legal work for you we collect the following personal information that you provide to us:-
Information collected from other sources
- Your Name
- Date of Birth
- Contact details including your email address
- Details about your finances
- In certain circumstances your medical records
We collect the following information from other sources:-
How we will use your information
- Your name, address and contact details from estate agents if we receive a memorandum of sale from them.
- Your name, date of birth and contact details from Local Authorities in some cases involving children issues.
We use your personal information for the following purposes:-
The personal data we collect from you will be used for the following purposes:-
- To perform a contract such as engaging with you to provide legal services.
- For the establishment, exercise and defence of legal claims or proceedings.
- To comply with legal and regulatory obligations.
- To provide and improve our services to you and to our clients including the handling of personal information by others on behalf of our clients.
- To provide information and advice requested by you.
- To manage or administer our relationship with you.
- To fulfil our legal, regulatory and risk management obligations, including establishing, exercising or defending legal claims.
- For the purposes of recruitment.
We rely on consent via confirmation of our Terms of Business and continued instruction.
Who will we share your personal information with?
We may share your personal Information with certain trusted third parties in accordance with contractual arrangements in place with them, including:-
Our legal obligations
- Our professional advisors and auditors.
- Suppliers to whom we outsource certain support services such as barristers, experts and costs draftsmen.
- IT service providers.
We will share specific and relevant information with law enforcement and government agencies or public bodies where we are legally required to do so. Examples of this may include:-
How long will we store your personal data?
- For the prevention or detection of crime and fraud.
- For the apprehension or prosecution of offenders.
- For the assessment or collection of tax or duty owed to HMRC.
- Sharing information in connection with legal proceedings.
- Sharing information in relation to the physical or mental health of an individual where disclosure is required to protect them or others from serious harm.
We are legally required to store your personal data for at least 6 years.
Under the GDPR you have a number of important rights that you can exercise free of charge. In summary, these rights are:-
- Access to your personal information and other supplementary information;
- Require us to correct any mistakes or complete missing information we hold on you;
- Require us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances;
- Receive a copy of the personal information you have provided to us or have this information sent to a third party, this will be provided to you or the third party in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format;
- Object at any time to processing of your personal information for direct marketing;
- Object in certain other situations to the continued processing of your personal information;
- Restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances;
If you want more information about your rights under the GDPR please see the guidance from the Information Commissioners Office on Individual's rights under the GDPR
If you want to exercise any of these rights, please:-
- Email, or write to Sarah Atack (our Data Protection Officer);
- Let us have proof of your identity and address;
- State the rights or rights that you wish to exercise;
We will respond to you within one month from when we receive your request.
How to make a complaint
We hope that you are happy with our service and that we can resolve any issues or complaints that may arise. Please get in touch if you have any concerns at all.
The GDPR also gives you the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, in particular in the European Union (or European Economic Area) state where you work, normally live, or where the alleged infringements of data protection laws occurred. The UK supervisory authority is the Information Commissioners Office who can be contacted at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
We use a variety of technical and organisational measures to help protect your personal information from unauthorised access, use, disclosure, alteration or destruction consistent with applicable data protection laws.
We do not intend to process your personal information for any reason other than stated within this privacy notice. If this changes, we will inform you by publishing a new privacy notice on our website www.moseleys.co.uk
Changes to this privacy notice
This Privacy Notice was published on the 21st of May 2018 and will be updated when necessary.
We constantly review our internal privacy practices and may change this policy from time to time. When we do so we will inform you by publishing the new notice on our website www.moseleys.co.uk
Get in touch
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you please contact us in writing.
21st May 2018